Senior Financial Services FAQ

  1. What age do I need to be to apply for unemployment?
  2. There is no specific age requirement for applying for unemployment. You only need to satisfy the set qualifications to be eligible to apply. These include losing your previous employment through no fault of your own and meeting the base period salary requirement.

  3. Can I apply for unemployment benefits as a legal resident of the United States?
  4. Yes. You can apply for unemployment as long as you show proof of legal residency if you are not yet a U.S. citizen. As long as you meet the other requirements specified by the U.S. government, you are free to apply at any time. Keep in mind, certain program require you to be a legal resident for at least five years.

  5. If I report someone for unemployment benefit fraud, will it affect my benefits?
  6. No. The only time reporting a fraudulent claim will affect you is if you are somehow related to the fraud. If you are related to the fraud being committed, you may or may not be penalized depending on the circumstances of the claim.

  7. Can I file for partial unemployment if I am retired and working part-time?
  8. Yes. As long as you still meet the minimum income requirements to qualify for unemployment benefits, you can apply for unemployment benefits. However, keep in mind that your gross income will include the money you make from your part-time work as well as any additional Social Security benefits you may receive in retirement.

  9. Can I apply for unemployment if I have only ever held one job?
  10. Yes. As long as you meet the minimum earnings requirement for your base period and have worked the appropriate amount of time for your previous employer, you will be able to apply for unemployment benefits.

  11. Do I need to be a senior citizen to apply for food stamps?
  12. No. Any household that has an economic need can apply at any time, given that they meet the financial requirements to be eligible for Food Stamps in their state.

  13. Can I receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits if I am an immigrant?
  14. Yes. If you are a legal resident of the United States, you are eligible for SNAP benefits even if you are not yet a U.S. Citizen. However, you will also need to meet all of the other eligibility requirements for SNAP benefits to qualify. Certain programs may require you to be a resident for at least five years.

  15. Is there a limit to the amount of grocery stores I can use my SNAP benefits at?
  16. No. There is a monetary limit to your SNAP benefits, but you can use your Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card in as many grocery stores as you need to as long as there are funds available.

  17. Can I apply for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits if I have been convicted of a felony?
  18. Yes. However, individuals with prior felony convictions, including drug convictions, will only receive non-assistance TANF services. These services are not monetary and usually consist of access to free counseling, job advancement courses and job retention services. The only monetary assistance provided is in the case of emergencies and the benefits will not last more than four months.

  19. Do I need to be retired to receive TANF benefits?
  20. No. Any needy family that is having trouble being self-sufficient can receive TANF benefits as long as they meet the set income requirements necessary for applying.

  21. Can I file a claim for wrongful termination if I quit because of discrimination in the workplace?
  22. No. To file for wrongful termination you must have proof of an employer terminating you for discriminatory reasons or other reasons that fall under the wrongful termination category. However, you may still be able to take legal action against your previous employer if you have proof of discrimination in the workplace but it will not be considered a wrongful termination case.

  23. Do I need to be from a specific branch of the military to qualify for Social Security benefits?
  24. No. As long as you have served enough time in whichever military branch you belonged to, you will be eligible for Social Security benefits. However, additional documentation may be required for those who served in the military before the year 1962.

  25. Can my retirement funds affect my child’s federal college aid eligibility?
  26. Yes. If you have any of your retirement funds in a savings account, they are considered an asset and will need to be reported on your child’s Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA). However, if your retirement funds are not currently in your possession, and are instead in a 401(K) or other retirement fund, they are not considered taxable income and will not need to be put on the FAFSA application.

  27. If I am both a senior citizen and a veteran, do I receive any additional benefits?
  28. No. Being a veteran and a senior citizen does not qualify you for any extra benefits within the same government assistance program. However, there are other benefit programs that specifically target senior citizens and veterans that you can apply to separately to receive additional benefits. Receiving benefits from one program may affect your eligibility for another one, so keep that in mind as you apply to multiple assistance programs.